Friday 27 July 2012

Introduction and Reading Program


Hi, my name is Tamara I am currently undertaking studies in Bachelor of Education (Primary/ Middle) at the University of South Australia. Within these studies I am able to focus on two main areas mathematics and science which I am extremely passionate and excited about.  I was born and raised in a small country town 200km north of Adelaide, and enjoyed all subjects at school which started my passion for teaching and making a difference to children’s lives.

Currently I am studying an English Curriculum course which this blog will be used for to showcase my reading program and reflections. I always enjoyed English at school and as someone who has passion and interest in the subject; hopefully I will be able to further extend my knowledge on the English language and literacy so that the students I will teach in the near future will also be excited about the subject.

Whilst on midyear break I decided to read ‘The Hunger Games’ series by Suzanne Collins as I had heard alot of hype around the series. I enjoyed these books so much that I finished all three in a week and have chosen to re-read them as they are so captivating that you cannot put them down once you start. The story bases around the nation known as Panem, which consists of the Capitol and twelve surrounding districts. As punishment for rebellion against the Capitol in which a thirteenth district was destroyed; one boy and girl aged between 12-18 would be selected from each district to participate in ‘The Hunger Games’ in which only one lone victor remained.

The Hunger Games is a futuristic Joan of Arc and I really enjoyed how relevant the book is to the possibilities of history repeating itself in the future and that the story of Katniss Everdeen (the girl on fire) is an important one to be told.

No comments:

Post a Comment