Thursday 27 September 2012

Reading Program Reflection

This semester for English Language and Literacy, each person had to contribute to a blog, providing a discussion in some weeks and a review and write-up about children's books.
This experience with the blog and having to read books, not in my normal reading categories, was a real eye-opener into different books which would be beneficial and interesting for young and adolescent readers. Some of the books I did decide to read, were chosen purely for the fact, that I have read them to a Reception class that I work in and the students thoroughly enjoyed them. As I was reading them, I can see how a book can be easily linked to other learning areas, such as Even Monsters need Haircuts for example. In the class, it can relate to maths (money), english (studies into the monsters, poetry) and more.

List of the books read:

Picture Books:
Waiting for Benjamin
Good night, me.
Gator
The Boy with Two Belly Buttons
Even Monsters need Haircuts
Cowboy Baby
Dinosaurs Galore
Green Eggs and Ham

Novels:
Between the Lines
Before I Fall
Chinese Cinderella
Littlenose the Hero
Squeaky Cleaners in the Stew!


When reading each book, I was able to see how they related in certain ways to the knowledge obtained from attending the lectures, reading the readings and participating in tutorials.

No comments:

Post a Comment